It was the violin maker Alois Kollitz who started the making of violins and processing tone wood in Rothau (Bohemia) in 1890.
His sons, the brothers Franz and Josef Kollitz, began to produce banjos and ukuleles as early as the 1930s.
After World War II, the company was transferred to Eltersdorf near Erlangen. Since then thousands of ukuleles have been named "Brüko" (for "Brüder Kollitz").
In 1990, Herbert Kollitz, the son of Franz Kollitz, moved his company to Kitzingen. There he passed on his knowledge to his daughter Friederike and his son-in-law Hubert Pfeiffer, who have been running the company since 1995.